Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reviews of Popular Spyware/Adware Removal Programs: Which ones really work?

With the overwhelming majority of computers infested with spyware and adware, most people want a way to
remove these pests without reformatting the computer so they turn to spyware removal programs. In fact, Microsoft themselves purchased and rebranded Giant Company's AntiSpyware program and are now distributing the Microsoft Windows Defender program for users of Windows 2000, XP and later. There are currently so many spyware removal programs on the market, which ones really work?

Because many visitors come to my site for spyware and virus removal advice, I thought I'd test a handful of these popular spyware removal programs head to head. To do this, I setup a test machine with Windows XP (SP2) with all the current patches as of January 2007.
 Then I installed the following common programs found on many computer systems today:
  • My Web Search (Fun Web Products)
  • Deluxe Communications (SurfSideKick)
  • New.Net Domains
  • Web Rebates
  • StarWare
  • Zango
My previous tech machine back in early 2005 included such popular programs as
  • Bargain Buddy (including Bullseye Network and Navisearch)
  • Gator and GAIN related programs including Precision Time and Date Manager
  • My Web Search (Fun Web Products software)
however, many of these programs have gone out of business, the company behind the program stopped producing it, or they merged with some other company.
I then created a Ghost image of the hard drive and backed it up to DVD-R disks. This provided me with a clean installation of Windows XP filled with misc programs, toolbars, adware and such to test each program thoroughly.
So how did your favorite spyware/adware removal program do against the competition, click below to find out:

No comments: